It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but wanted to give a little update on my routine. My hair has endured health issues and unintentional neglect this past year and, surprisingly, continues to thrive. I have established an even simpler routine that works. My hair is 10-12 inches stretched, major shrinkage.
- Shampoo every 2 weeks.
- Deep condition weekly.
- Henna gloss monthly.
- Co-wash twice a week and apply shea + almond oil mix. Depending on style, may use homemade flaxseed gel for styles requiring hold.
- SHAMPOO: Healing Herbs by Rene Herbal Black Soap Shampoo & Body Wash, (4 oz, $5.95) or bentonite clay. For the wash and go girls in the warmer climates, use this shampoo with the Extra Moisturizing Herbal Conditioner, 4 oz. $6.95, for the most amazing wash and go ever. ***Healing Herbs by Rene also has new products; Peppermint Ginger Lime Shampoo, Roots of Aloe Coconut Hair Polish, and Herbal Soaps.
- CONDITIONER: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner, 25 oz., $5.99.
- STYLERS: Homemade Flaxseed gel, Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel (32 oz., $5.92), or shea butter + almond oil mix.
- DEEP CONDITIONER: Lustrasilk Shea & Mango Cholesterol (20 oz., $2.79), henna + amla for monthly henna gloss. Note: Full henna gives me tangly hair and it turns my gray hair a yucky orange color. I do the henna gloss for conditioning results only.
- OILS: Mustard, olive oil, and almond oils. Please don’t sleep on mustard oil. Replaced castor oil with mustard oil for the cold weather and my scalp and hair are loving it. Purchased mustard, almond, and olive oil at an Indian food market. Prices definitely cheaper.
Links for products I’ve tried and would purchase again.
- Pure Shea Chai-Hemp Shampoo Bar, 3.5 oz, $3.00. I bought this at a local downtown market (Eastern Market). This shampoo bar smells so good. Scalp feels clean and moisturized, hair soft, fluffy, not stripped.
- Shea Essentials Hair Butter, (dry scalp and hair formula), 4 oz. $6.75. Truly a multipurpose product and perfect for cold weather. I use this for scalp massages, hot oil treatment, pomade, and sealant. Ayieta (owner) also has a new Protein Rich Natural Hair Milk (6 oz., $8.00) with the ingredients we like to see in hair products. I also purchase my shea butter, (8 oz., $6.00, free shipping) from Shea Essentials. This shea butter + almond oil is used for my hair and skin.
- Oils: Mustard, almond, and olive oils. Don’t sleep on the mustard oil, though. Mustard oil is rich in beta carotene, as well as omega-3 and omega-6 acids. I purchased this at an Indian market, 8 oz., $3.99. No itchy scalp or dry hair since using this oil. I’ve even noticed a little hair thickening which is an added benefit.
I’ve been gone for a minute and can’t believe the new products, companies, and distributors we have for natural hair. It’s definitely a good thing and the right time for them. Yay for us!!!