I didn’t realize how much hormones can affect everything (immune system, metabolism, energy, sex drive, mood swings, etc.). My body is adjusting, but along with the adjustment comes issues with my hair and skin. My scalp always seems coated and itchy. My skin is dry and breaking out. This is so frustrating because I hate starting over. A lot of these products have been staples for years and are no longer working for me. Some of these are:
- Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol – Due to ingredient changes, this multipurpose product no longer works. I’m sick about this one. It has been a staple for 7 years.
- Africa’s Best Ultimate Herbal Oil – This product is great for hot oil treatments, conditioning, and sealing, but I can’t handle the smell any longer.
- Christophe Purely Natural Shampoo – I loved this shampoo, but now it leaves hair dry and tangled, even when diluted.
- HE Hello Hydration, Aussie Moist, Suave Humectant and Biobasic conditioners. My hair feels fine when wet, but once dries scalp feels coated and irritated, hair and scalp dry.
- Darcy’s Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Creme – Had to reapply daily whereas previously hair stayed moisturized for days.
I’m trying to find products that will be easy on the scalp since it seems to be easily irritated now. What is currently working:
- Aztec Healing Clay (bentonite), 1 1b., $7.16 – To cleanse scalp, I use with water and amla powder. For those who are trying to undo damage to the scalp and hair, try this product. It works.
- Hesh Amla powder, 100 oz., $3.49 – Used as conditioning treatment alone, as well as added to conditioners for deep conditioning.
- Neutrogena Clean Replenishing Moisturizing Conditioner, 12 oz., $5.89 – This conditioner rinses clean like it says, leaving scalp free of any residue. No itching. Hair is soft and easily detangled (has behentrimonium methosulfate). Brings shed hair to ends. Available at CVS and Walgreen’s.
- Nature’s Gate Herbal Conditioner, 18 oz., $3.64 – Strong frankincense and myrrh fragrance, but hair is soft and moisturized. Won’t repurchase this one due to the fragrance.
- Afroveda Shea Amla Whipped Butter Creme, 8 oz., $9.00 – Hair moisturized for 2-3 days without having to reapply. Great bargain for $9.00.
- Brown Butter Red Clover and Lavender Blossom Soap, $7.00 – Both moisturizing and cleansing soap for hair and body.
I purchase my amla from AyurNaturalBeauty. She is also a member of NaturallyCurly.com and has a blog at Ayurnatural Beauty Talk.
Brown Butter Beauty now has hair care products (yay!) and a blog. For the soap lovers, she creates awesome handmade vegan soaps.