Since most of us are familiar with some of the bigger and better known suppliers for herbs, essential oils, and butters (Mountain Rose Herbs, From Nature with Love, Essential Wholesale), I wanted to list some smaller or lesser known suppliers who provide quality products, good customer service, and fantastic prices.
SHEA BUTTER HUT – You don’t hear too much about Shea Butter Hut on the boards, but this is by far the best shea butter I’ve tried online so far. The customer service is fantastic, prices are great, and shipping is fast.
What I like about Shea Butter Hut:
- Unrefined West Shea Butter (several sizes available), $8.95 for 1 lb.
- East African Shea butter is reportedly better than West African shea butter in that there is little to no odor and it moisturizes better. It is also more expensive (1 lb. $19.95). East African shea butter also available in several sizes.
- Nubian Heritage, Shea Moisture, Nature’s Blessing, Black Earth, Dudu-Oson products are also sold here.
- Currently has buy 2, get 1 free deal here. Add Shea Butter Hut to your Favorites list.
OILS BY NATURE – This company has a nice selection of vegetable oils, butters, waxes, and essential oils.
What I like about Oils by Nature:
- Check out Oils by Nature’s Sampler Set. Get five 1 ounce samples from their selection of oils, body butters, and waxes. The price ($25.00) includes shipping within the U.S. A great way to try some of their products.
- Shea butter, 1 lb. bag, $5.25. Shea butter/mango butter blend, 1 lb. $6.50.
- Nice variety of waxes. Almond Wax is now available.
- No minimum order required.
NASABB – My first shea butter experience was shea butter from Nasabb. Foot, bath, candle, and incense products are also available for purchase.
What I like about Nasabb:
- Gift baskets to fit any budget. (For ex: Combo set 3 includes one 8 oz. shea butter, 1 shea moisturizer, one 5 oz. black soap, one 5 oz. honey oatmeal soap for $25.95).
- Shea butter, $8.00 for 4 oz, Honey oatmeal soap, $4.50 for 5 oz. (Perfect all over soap. Great for face and body).
- Free sample pack with your order.
LAYLA – FLOWERING TREE BOTANICALS – What I like about this store? I never thought I’d see the day I get all worked up and excited because I saw marshmallow root, henna, peppermint teabags, barbecue seasoning, and snacks all in the same Etsy store. Seriously, I’m a true ingredient junky nowadays, so I convo’d this kind owner and inquired about the goodies I saw in her store. This is what Layla had to share with us about her Etsy store.
“I always like to share with people that my philosophy is to look for and sell only the very best herbs, spices and raw ingredients I can find. It is an honor and a privilege to provide these materials to some of the world’s most wonderful artisans and crafters. I’m also proud member of Etsy for Animals and a portion of every sale benefits It’s Meow or Never Animal Rescue & Sanctuary (http://www.itsmeowornever.org/). I can also get just about any herb, spice or botanical if I don’t already carry it in my shop – I like the challenge of finding the best quality for the best price for my customers.” Also check out her blog at http://ladybugwebdesign.blogspot.com/.
Layla has an impressive herb collection and I have listed only a sample of what is available for purchase; comfrey leaf, flax seed, fenugreek seed, henna, rosemary, lemon verbena, dried chamomile, calendula, lavender, marshmallow root, burdock root, powdered honey, etc. Are you excited yet? Other items such as tea (loose), essential oils, and soy candles are also available for purchase in her Etsy store. Are you excited now? lol.
For all my fellow kitchen chemists out there who love creating their own homemade hair and body products, check out Layla over on Etsy. This store has everything you need with prices and shipping fees you can afford.
- Henna, 1 lb., $6.00.
- Lavender essential oil, 1 oz., $8.00.
- Comfrey leaf, 1/2 pound, cut, $6.00.
- Marshmallow root, 1/4 lb., $3.50.
- Burdock root, 1/4 lb. cut, $3.50.
- Wire mesh tea spoon, 4.5 cm in diameter with squeeze to open handle. (Also perfect for brewing loose herbs for hair rinses).
- Powdered honey, 1/2 pound, $5.00.
**Note: If you’ve never tried Chargin Valley’s shampoo bars, you don’t know what you’re missing. They have a HUGE selection of shampoo bars to choose from.